Skip to main content

Garden Update

Well, I was all set to awe you with photos of my first kayaking foray down the Sauk River today. But it rained. All day. So my W.E.T. friends and I went to a movie instead. We saw Mamma Mia! and were just rolling in our seats laughing. I highly recommend the movie. It's really goofy, but so much fun with all the ABBA music. ABBA was the band of my youth! At least, when I was about Rose's age, so it brought back memories of dancing for hours in my friend Laura's brother's bedroom. He was the one with the record player back then, ha ha.

Instead of the beautiful kayaking women pictures, today you get the amazing garden photos. Things are really coming along nicely. We've got huge cabbage, collards, broccolli and peas. Here George is picking bugs and slugs off the collards (a job I gladly give to him):
Right to left in this photo, the peppers, tomatoes, beans and potatoes in the garden bed are getting bigger every day too:
And just look at the potatoes in the tires below! Who knows what the yield will be yet, but if the size and health of the foliage is any indication we'll have a nice crop of yukon golds out of here in the fall. Next to the potatoes is the rhubarb then raspberries which are yielding a bit already, then there's a currant bush and two blueberries at the end of this fence row. Oh, and behind the rhubarb and raspberries are two delicata squash plants just starting to vine up the fence, two still small cucumber plants and two watermelons also small: We've been enjoying beets already, as well as the lettuce which we just trim down whenever we want a salad--that way it keeps growing back. The onion tops are really flopped over as you can see below but the onions seem to be growing well anyway:
Lastly, today we had a sampling of gooseberries which are just starting to ripen. I think they'll taste better as jam or pie which we'll get to when the crop is ready:On an MPR radio show the other day a couple of garden experts were saying that this is a near perfect year for gardening in Minnesota. We've had a nice amount of rain and just enough sun and heat for lush garden growth. We're happy with the abundance! And grateful...

Comments

CoCargoRider said…
Garden looks awesome! We are starting to plant our Fall crops. Our tomatoes are finally starting to ripen some fruit, so we are really excited.
Namaste,
The Quinces
denise said…
Everything looks great! What a great strip of fence to grow all of the fruit down. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Lisa Zahn, Life Coach--Some Exciting News!

Hi everyone! I'm so excited to tell you I now have my very own domain and website dedicated to my new, thriving business as a co-active life coach. I recently completed training through the wonderful Coaches Training Institute and am working my way toward certification as a Certified Professional Co-active Coach (CPCC). I write regular blog posts and a weekly newsletter, which you can sign up for and receive via email , over at lisazahn.com now. I think you'll enjoy following along over there. And go check out my site--it's beautiful!

Homeschooling/Unschooling Almost A Year Now

The kids took their annual, required standardized achievement test yesterday. This is the law in Minnesota, homeschoolers have to take the test and keep it in the files at home but we don't have to turn it in to the district or anything, unless there's a problem. It seems reasonable to me. Yesterday's test went well. A friend of mine, a former teacher, does the testing as a business, so the kids are really comfortable with her. She sets up her "office" at the library and devotes about an hour to each kid, using the Peabody Individual Achievement Test . The categories in the Peabody test are General Information (science, social studies, art, etc.); Reading Recognition; Reading Comprehension; Mathematics; Spelling. There are 100 questions per category, though they don't start each child at number 1 but somewhere before/below where they should be at and work up from there. One of my kids , age 9, tests just at or above her grade level. This is great. A confirmat...

On Family Meetings and Chores

ON FAMILY MEETINGS: On Friday night we held our first-ever Zahn Family Meeting. I've always felt that families who hold family meetings are so, well, organized and democratic and all that and we've just never gotten around to them (which speaks to my lack of organization, and probably democratic-ness, too). But on Thursday, after "crabbin' out" at the kids for not helping around the house enough, I decided to call a Family Meeting for the following night. I made the announcement to all, including dear husband, that the meeting would take place at exactly 6:30 p.m. after our Previously Scheduled Family Dinner at exactly 6:00 p.m. Just trying to be organized here... I asked the family members to come up with agenda items. Mine, of course, would be the subject of chores. I also said I would give a Treasurer's Report (a.k.a. "why we haven't paid your allowance since Christmas"). So the appointed hour came and the Meeting commenced. I asked for agenda...